Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Weapon of Mash-Destruction.

Well it is 6:00 in the morning and I hear Sophie crying in her room. Obviously, you can’t just leave a crying toddler in their room at 6:00 a.m., even though any reasonable adult would try and get another hour of sleep but to a toddler it is a perfectly reasonable hour to get up and start the day. My darling bride rolls over and justifiably asks if I would get up with her.

Of course I will.

The damn allergies have my sinuses totally blocked and my eyes are glued shut as I stumble out of bed. Sophie’s crying has reached that point where you know she has fully awakened but not quite reached the panic level. I only partially trip over the dog as I round the bed and head for the hallway when,

WHAM!!

I walk face first into the closed bedroom door, slamming both my forehead and nose into the solid hardwood. Collapsing back onto the bed with my hands over my now crushed face, I hear that Sophie has stopped crying. This is a totally sensible response when you hear at 6:00 in the morning what sounds like a bull jumping into a brick wall from a full run. This silence lasts about five seconds and is replaced by the sound of “Da-Dee. Da-Dee. Da-Dee.” I don’t know if it is the same for everyone, but for me, it is easier to ignore gut wrenching screams than it is to ignore the sweet appeals from my daughter for her daddy.

At this point Anna is worried that I broke my nose (I hit the door really hard) and is struggling to get out of bed herself. I manage to re-mold my face back together, open the damn door and pick Sophie up from her crib. Anna is now awake, so I drop Sophie off on the couch and head to the bathroom. I successfully unplug the snot from my nostrils only to unleash the blood that had pooled behind this make-shift dam of mucus. Much toilet paper later, I am left with just a large purple bump on my forehead that looks like I am trying to grow a unicorn horn and throbbing headache.

The crazy thing is and the whole point to this blog post, I had a pretty good morning. Really. I think it goes to show that the circumstances that make up the details of our life are not near as important as our mental outlook. I don’t really know why I was in a good mood. Must have just woken up on the right side of the bed, even when I walked on the wrong side of the door.

It has just dawned on me that I a.m. a morning person

10 comments:

beinmyOWNself said...

:) such a mixture of awwwws and giggles...sorry you ouched yourself, hon!

Strangeite said...

Yeah, I thought long and hard about how best to end this post. I came up with ten different puns. But did any work?

No pun in ten did.

AnnaMarie said...

oh groooaaaan...

I'm still sorry about not warning you that I closed the door.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
beinmyOWNself said...

yeah, i thought the i a.m. a morning person bit was pretty punny :) and double groan on no pun in ten did

Rae said...

I don't know about you, but hearing "dah-dee" always puts Brad in a good mood too. I'm sure that had to help the swelling and blood.
(But just a warning... those "dah-dees" get more manipulative as they get older...
Lauryn always knows who to go to, to get what she wants. )
Feel better!

stacey said...

I didn't know if I should laugh or cry.

Leigh said...

What a hilarious post. Sorry that you hurt you nose, but it was a bit funny. Kudos on your attitude! You rock Roy!

Unknown said...

This is a great blog entry, it has humor and suspense all wrapped up in it! Sorry about your nose, but you have a great outlook!

Anne