Thursday, April 3, 2008

Ka is a Wheel

On March 25, 2007 the concluding episode of Season 3 of Battlestar Galactica aired. After it was over, we were informed that new episodes would not be back until 2008. It has been one hell of a long year, but our wait is finally over and the first episode of the fourth and final season of the best show on television will air tomorrow. I have purposely stayed away from any and all spoilers because I didn’t want to spoil my Season 4 virginity.

Soooo, I am going to propose my theory on how the show is going to end. Obviously since I haven’t read any spoilers, I can’t write about any here; but, be forewarned that I am going to talk about my own theory.

A running mantra through the entire series has been “All this has happened before, and it will happen again.” It reminds me of the conclusion to Stephen’s King’s The Dark Tower, hence the title to this post. With the conclusion of Season 3, we discover the identities of four of the final five Cylons. The important part of this for our discussion here is HOW they discover they are Cylons. Yes the show has incorporated much of the inconography of both Greek mythology and the Mormon church but having the these characters discover they are Cylons because they start hearing Bob Dylan’s “All Along the Watchtower.” Is more than just creative license. It is a clue.

The speed of light is 299,792,458 meters per second and it is my belief that the song they were hearing was a broadcast from Earth. Our Earth. Maybe not 2008 Earth, but our Earth at some point after 1967. Alright, I have beat around the bush enough. I am thinking that the Galactica will make it to Earth. Earth will be populated with humans but for some reason most of the planet’s population will be destroyed after Galactica arrives. Maybe by Galactica, maybe by the Cylons, maybe by Earth’s own devices. The point is that most of the planet’s population is wiped out and Earth become uninhabitable. At which point the surviving population will flee the planet on 12 starships. These 12 starships will establish 12 colonies on 12 different planets and as time goes by they will forget their true origins. However, legends will remain of a lost 13th colony called Earth.

All of this has happened before, and it will happen again.

Or they get to Earth at the same time as the Cylons and are promptly swallowed by a dog.

No comments: