Wednesday, January 14, 2009

A New Tradition Is Born

Growing up in the Commonwealth of Kentucky there are certain things that seep into your consciousness. One of those tidbits of Kentucky Basketball knowledge is that Dan Issel was the man. Since he played for Kentucky from 1966 to 1970, obviously I never saw him play but growing up here you knew the name. You also knew that his 53 points scored in a single game was one of those records that would probably never be broken in the modern era. A holdover, if you will, of a simpler time. So the name of Dan Issel was kept alive down generations of Kentucky Wildcat fans that had no direct knowledge of his skill.

My children and grandchildren will know a different name.

That name is Jodie Meeks.

Last night Jodie Meeks scored 54 points against Tennessee on the Volunteers home court. This was not a game that I believe many pragmatic Kentucky fans thought we would win.

Not only did we win; but Jodie Meeks put on the most impressive display of basketball prowess I have ever seen.

Congratulations Jodie. You have now become a legend. And I am thankful that I was a witness.

3 comments:

Nikki said...

That was awesome last night. He was making those 3's like it was nothing. I was so glad I got to see that game. :)

Becca said...

That's incredible! Even better that it happened on Tennessee's court.

Jeff Fisher said...

Even more impressive was the 54 points on only 22 shots, 14/14 from the free throw line, the 8 rebounds and 4 assists...However the MOST impressive were his comments post game.."I want to thank my teammates first, and I just wanted to win. We lost here my first 2 years and I just wanted a win here..."