Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Death Match to the Extreme!!!!

Yesterday, I received my long awaited iPhone. This phone is an amazing piece of technology and eclipses many of my already high expectations; however, there are a couple of things I am confused about. Many in the press call the iPhone by another name, the Jesus Phone. After having the phone for over 24 hours, I am not sure if the phone is supposed to be the actual second coming of Christ or if the phone is merely the messiah for all cell phones in the world brought to Earth to forgive their sins.

No matter. You aren't here to read a blog post about some absurd theological point, or blasphemy, depending on your perspective. No, you are here for my review of the iPhone. Well, since over the last two weeks the internet has been transformed into nothing but iPhone reviews, I thought it was important that I offer something a little different. So, faithful readers, I present...

THE iPHONE v GIANT CAN OF BEER MATCH-UP.



On first blush, you might ask yourself, what the hell does the iPhone have to do with a giant can of beer. Well, not much, but that isn't going to stop me from comparing the two.

Life Enhancement.

The iPhone allows me to surf the web with an almost desktop like experience. In addition, the New York Times application gives me an updated and in-depth analysis of current events. However, the giant can of beer helps blur reality and makes me care a little bit less about the sorry state of the world. The iPhone does come with a monthly charge that hits the 'ol pocketbook pretty hard, but the giant can of beer might cause me to puke my guts out and wake up with a hangover.

Advantage: TIE

Battery Life.

The iPhone's battery life is top of its class for 3G phones, but because it is so damn cool, you find yourself using battery hungry applications all the time which leads to a depleted battery. in addition, Steve Jobs in his infinite wisdom, has decreed that there will not be a user replaceable battery in the iPhone. Of course this is an excellent design choice, because it will mean that our iPhones will die earlier and allow us to get new iPhones. Brilliant. Thank you Steve Jobs.

The giant can of beer however has the advantage of being able to actually generate electricity. Maybe not a lot, but more than the iPhone. Here is an article on the "Beer Battery"

Advantage: Giant Can of Beer

Sound Quality.


The very first call I made on the iPhone sounded like the other end was in a bucket, but since then, I have been very impressed with audio quality. The giant can of beer might be able to make phone calls if we have two and a bit of string; but I am doubtful as to the sound quality.

Advantage: iPhone

In the end, after a sophisticated investigation and rigorous scientific analysis, the age old battle of the iPhone v Giant Can of Beer ends in a tie. But really, in the end, would you have wanted it any other way?

9 comments:

Nikki said...

So you finally got yourself an iGod. I think you will love it. My sister has one and I know she loves hers. I suggest a case for it or something so you don't crack or scratch it. :)

AnnaMarie said...

I suggest that you buy your wife one so that she will stop touching yours with her "greasy fingers".

Strangeite said...

Huh? You already have one in the fridge. Do you want two, so that you can make phone calls?

beinmyOWNself said...

;) i just crack up when i think of roy and his pocket computer...dear lord, if someone gave you a budget, you could probly take over the world with that thing! glad you like it:)

Strangeite said...

Funny you mention that. Right now I am reading "Coup D'etat: A Practical Handbook" and went to sleep thinking how I could probably pull off a bloodless coup in some small African country with about $100 million dollars. That would be enough for me to pull off the coup and provide enough financing to begin pulling the population out of poverty.

To quote the amazing Dr. Horrible; "The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it."

Nikki said...

I just want to express my love for that quote Roy. :)

AnnaMarie said...

You would win my heart all over again if you gave me the keys to a shiny, new, Australia.

Modernicon said...

(weeping and a bit jealous) What kind of Bizarro world do we live in where a giant can of beer loses to a phone?

The Pinwheel Princess said...

I love it when you write. . . it makes me laugh. . . out loud.
Congrats on the gadget!