Monday, October 1, 2007

Monday, Monday. Ba-da Ba-da-da-da.

Today I turned 30. I am amazed on how little impact this birthday has had upon my psyche other than reminiscing about the last few years and remembering how lucky I am. I thought I would share with you some of the things that I am thankful for.



My beautiful bride. Everyday I am reminded me how she loves me despite my "peculiarities", opened my mind to worlds I never knew existed and brings a joy to my life that makes me one of the luckiest bastards on the planet.



My marriage. On the surface this may appear to be a duplication of the above, but it is not. Our marriage is more special than my feeble attempts at wordsmithing can bare. I am not going to attempt to describe it in words. Just know that I am very thankful for this wonderful union.



Riley. He is now 9 years old and the first glimmers are beginning to appear of the adult that he will become. I could not have asked for a more loving, intelligent and curious son. No one could be a better big brother. Oh yeah, and he has finally started to enjoy Lord of the Rings. Whew.



Sophie. Just look at her and tell me how anyone could not fall in love.



Friends. The past 30 years would have been a complete bore if it hadn't been for those individuals that have made it more fun than can be described on a public blog.



Good times and their memories. Just look at the picture and tell me that it doesn't look fun.



So turning 30 isn't really a big deal. Maybe if I had sat on my hands for the last 30 years, I would be freaking out, but as it is, I know that I have had an amazing life. Are there things I regret? You bet. Is there things that I would do differently? Of course. But here is the thing. I love who I am and the life I have. The past 30 years (the good and bad) have made me who I am, and for that I am grateful.

6 comments:

AnnaMarie said...

Those pictures are utterly timeless. When I got to the one of Beth playing fiddle I wasn't sure if it was our wedding or the Bluegrass Festival.

Thanks for the happiest years of my life.

Nikki said...

Aww Roy, hope you had a good one man!

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

Hey, happy birthday! 30 freaked me a little, but I've since accepted it. Just in time, too, as I turn 31 later this month.

Seeing that picture of your friends took me waaaaay back to high school. Wow. Nobody has changed - at all (at least, not in appearance).

Strangeite said...

Oh we have all changed alot since that picture was taken. In fact when I posted it I was amazed at how young everyone looked. It was taken before my wedding in 2002.

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

Speaking of old friends, have you kept in touch at all with Theresa? I lost contact with her before I moved to Texas, and my efforts to find her lately have been fruitless. Do you have any contact info? If so, could you please e-mail it to me at jenn (underscore) hacker (at) sbcglobal (dot) net?

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

Whoops! "Teresa" not "Theresa"!